Frequently asked questions

Some typical questions many clients have

Q. When is the best time to come?

A. For beginners or very low airtime Pilots we recommend either early or late in the season - the weather is usually good with reasonable thermic activity but without the thermals being too strong for low airtime Pilots. January to May and September to end of October are prime times. More experienced Pilots can come anytime, but April to September are the very best for thermalling and XC flying with good thermic activity most days and a normally high cloudbase in the range 2500m - 4600m. We run trips at various times so why not join us.

Q. If I get ParaPro2 (EP level) can I join a club and fly on my own?

A. You can certainly join a club but you need to progress to ParaPro 3 level (Club Pilot) before you can fly unsupervised by an instructor - normally this can take 6 -13 days training, sometimes longer depending on the skill and confidence of the individual Pilot. Pilots normally do a brief assessment once back in their home country and sit the local airlaw exam before gaining the local license.

Q. What kind of clothing do I need to bring?

A. Good boots with ankle support together with warm outdoor clothing. In Spring and Autumn the Alps can be cold at night or whilst flying, long trousers and jacket as well as gloves are normal flying attire.

Q. How soon will I be flying?

A. You will probably be flying by the end of the 1st day of training. Initially you can expect to be doing low level flights, gaining height as competence, confidence and conditions allow.

Q. Where can I stay?

A. Self catered accommodation is offered by several local accommodation providers in provencial maisons du village with starter food hamper to get you going, for seven or fourteen nights. Available Saturday to Saturday from 1600 hrs onwards on arrival day until 0900 hrs approximately on departure day.

Shared room basis per person €315.00 per week
Private room basis €420.00 per week
Single with private bathroom €490.00 per week
Double with private bathroom €665.00 per week

Other options are available including low cost camping package Accommodation options

Q. How many others will there be on my trip?

A. Depends on our bookings but we never have more than 5 clients to 1 instructor - this means you always get the attention you need during the early stages of your flying career. Similarly with our thermalling and XC courses we normally keep class sizes to no more than 4 per instructor.

Q. Why do I need repatriation/travel insurance?

A. The insurance provided from within the national associations does not normally cover accident/illness repatriation so you should have a separate cover for this - We suggest Sportscover Direct or Worldwide both of whom have links from our downloads page. You can find links to suitable insurers in your home country by using Google or other search engine.




Paragliding France

Ongoing Pilot Development

Regular progressive ongoing training is the key to successful Pilot development - from ridge soaring onto thermalling then XC flying. You can learn to thermal in the UK or Northern Europe but good thermalling days are often few and far between. Doesn't it make more sense to learn in Alpine France where thermalling conditions are the norm and the weather is much more favourable?